nafex - [NAFEX] Hickories

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hickories
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:13:35 -0500

Betsy,
Mockernut(C.tomentosa) and some Pignut(C.glabra) hickories are edible - and
quite tasty; mockernuts have a strong hickory flavor, rivaling black walnut
in flavor intensity.
Problem with them is that the thickness of the shell and the prominent
ridges of the internal shell structure tends to trap the kernel, precluding
you being able to extract much more than tiny little kernel fragments.
There are occasional trees, however, if you'll sample the nuts, that do
crack out reasonably well - but I've never come across a mockernut that
cracks out as well as even the poorest shagbark.
I've got one tree on the farm here that I'd once thought was a hybrid
between shagbark and mockernut - but is probably C.ovalis, red hickory -
cracks out better than some poorer-quality shagbarks.

Lucky