nafex - [NAFEX] Fertilizing peaches?

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fertilizing peaches?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 06:44:02 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Anton & Alan,
Do peach trees need fertilization?
I fertilized my peach trees lightly in the Fall of years 2 & 3 but have not
fertilized them since they produced their first fruit 12 years ago. They grow
vigorously, bloom profusely, and I usually thin off 2 or 3 buckets of culls
per tree. I mulch with oak and hickory leaves each Fall, which I wouldn't
consider to be "fertilizer". My trees are on a sandy-clay ridgetop 15 miles
west of Winston-Salem.
Jim
====================
Anton wrote;
>It's interesting that you mention Fall fertilization. The fellow I did my
>Master's with, Dr. Gary Couvillon at UGA, did quite a lot of research on the
>effects of Fall fertilization on hardiness and peach tree health. His
>research supported exactly what you said, that fertilizing in the Fall
>(within limits, of course) not only did not decrease hardiness, it could
>even increase winter hardiness, presumably by increasing solutes in the
>buds. Based on his teachings, I've routinely Fall fertilized for the last
>30 years, with no ill effects.
>
>Anton
>North Carolina

  • [NAFEX] Fertilizing peaches?, nottke1, 03/31/2011