nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting plums

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting plums
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:38:17 -0500

Some notes and tips from the handout of the grafting seminar given by Bob Purvis last weekend. We did whip and tongue grafts which I thought were pretty easy to do. Now will have to see how well they take. I think the aftercare may prove harder for me than the grafting.

He indicates that some nurseries hold the plum grafts at 40 to 45 deg F, then plant them in the field when danger of frost is past. But he says he has had good success with plum grafts at 60 to 70 deg F. For apples and pears, 40 to 50 deg F is best. Hardy apricots need higher temperatures to form callus, 70 to 75 deg F depending on the cultivar.

For stone fruit grafts, the best storage is a 5 gallon bucket or pot with a drainage hole in it, with the roots covered with moist potting soil, sawdust, or peat moss, and a tomato cage inside the bucket with a large, clear plastic bag pulled down over the cage and tied to the top of the bucket. The idea is to provide a moist environment. The bag should be loosened once some of the grafts begin to take, so that mold does not grow on the new leaves coming from the graft.

Remove suckers below the graft union.

Once leaves begin to sprout from the buds (typically 10 to 20 days after grafting, but sometimes in 5 - 7 if the cuts are well done and temperatures are warm), the new trees may be planted in pots in the ground. When the leaves are the size of "squirrel's ears," that is a good time to to pot or plant the grafts.

Grafts need to be acclimated to sun, wind, heat, and cold. This is critical if they have leaves or actively growing shoots on the scions. May want to apply Wilt-Pruf to the growing tips to prevent dessication in hot or windy weather. Consider staking the scion shoot and rootstock to promote straight growth.

Dan