nafex - [NAFEX] Geneva 11 apple rootstock

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Geneva 11 apple rootstock
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 10:39:14 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

The literature states that Geneva 11 is collar rot resistant. My experience
suggests that it may not be the case in all environments & I was wondering if
others had the same observation. All my trees on G11 are almost girdled by
collar rot. The bark and cambium just crumbles in your hand around the base.
However, trees right next to them on G16 and Bud9 have little to no damage.

The orchard is in heavy clay, though on a hill with good drainage and no
elevated water table.

Has anyone else seen this? Anyone else (especially in the SE US or Midwest)
have good experiences with rootstocks with similar dwarfing characteristics?

Anton
Zone 8
North Carolina
apple trees in full bloom
'Caville Blanc d'Hiver' appears to be the latest blooming & 'Liberty' the
earliest in my orchard this year.

  • [NAFEX] Geneva 11 apple rootstock, Anton Callaway, 03/27/2011