nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peach tree trimming

  • From: James A Cooper <JCooper@lewistonschools.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peach tree trimming
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:27:37 +0000

I would not try to prune the old wood on a peach. I tried it once and no new
sprouts started, just killed the branch.
I think that you must leave some of last years wood, on each branch that you
prune. So it has something to feed itself.
I do tip the new growth, to reduce the overall height of the tree. But they
do just get taller even if you try your best.

I have heard that a peach will only live about 8-12 years. We have one that
was tired when we moved here and that was 15 years ago.
It looked sad and I thought it was dying but the previous owner said that it
looks better than it has for years!
I thought oh, well we'll take it out later. But then we harvested some
wonderful peaches Labor Day and decided to keep it!
It is still providing us wonderful peaches, we must thin it ruthlessly. It is
maybe an Elberta. We also have a Red Haven, both great peaches.
The Elberta better canning of the 2, both great eating., the Red Haven best
table peach, fresh.