nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaws for cold zones

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@countryspeed.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaws for cold zones
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 06:58:26 -0500

Hi Sarah,

I live in a zone 3 pocket in SW Wisconsin USA. I've grown seedlings from several "hardy" sources including eastern Iowa, northern Illinois, southern Michigan and Pennsylvania. Three seed sources were from plants growing and fruiting within 100 miles of here. They die to the ground many inters. -40F/C nearly killed them all even w/ snow cover and it took 4 years for the survivors to reach head height again. I've eaten fruit from plants growing at the U of WI Arboretum--seedier than selected cones, but delicious---and planted the seeds. They die back like the others.

I wouldn't waste my money on named varieties. They're almost always grafted and you'd lose the cultivars during cold winters and end up with the seedling rootstocks anyway. I've not taken the survivors out since they're in an out-of-the-way, sheltered spot. Fortunately I grew up in the pre-video game/i-pod era. My relatively long attention span allows me to get pleasure watching trees grow. Maybe I'll get a paw-paw someday.

Steve Herje, SW WI USA USDA zone 3 (most years;-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah Kehler Ewing" <skkewing@yahoo.com>