nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaws for cold zones

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaws for cold zones
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 00:06:32 EDT

In a message dated 3/25/2011 4:08:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
skkewing@yahoo.com writes:

> Sorry to ask you to rehash things for me, but I've been deleting pawpaw
> messages thinking that they couldn't be grown anywhere near here... and now
> I see that Dominion carries a zone 4 rated paw-paw called "pawpaw Taywo
> asimina triloba". Ever heard of it/any comments?
>
> Are Pawpaws usually grafted or seedlings?
>
> What do you need pollination?
>
> Any recommendations of other varieties?

Hi Sarah,

Yes, pawpaws can be grown in zone 4. The variety Davis originated in
Michigan and apparently did well there although I'm not impressed with it
here. I
don't have a good selection of named varieties therefore am not in a good
position to recommend early varieties.

I've not heard of Taywo but am aware of Taytwo and Taylor. According to
material from the Pawapaw foundation Taytwo is early, PA Golden is even
earlier
and both have very good taste.

Both grafted and seedlings can be purchased, but I recommend grafted. Not
all seedling pawpaws are really good. And some unscrupulous nurseries will
sell seedlings of a named variety as that variety, but seedlings don't some
true to the seed parent. But most nurseries are honest and graft.

Yes, pawpaws need a pollinator! Get two varieties. Sunflower is one of the
best tasting named varieties. Overlease is another. Plant them 8 to 10 feet
apart.

If you know how to graft, pawpaws are easy. I'd like to suggest getting
seedlings (lower cost) plant them then graft the following year. Scion wood
is
easy to get and I have some that I bred that taste very good as judged by
visitors and early ones also that I'd like to see tested in your area. The
scion wood is free, just pay postage.

Jerry