nafex - [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn Tea

  • From: Evan <kodama@riseup.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn Tea
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:38:11 -0400

I was recently at a friends house and drank a commercial Sea Buckthorn tea
made from the leaves. It was packaged in the vein of one of these magical
medicine plants from the Himalayas, but mostly I was struck by the delightful
and soothing green-tea flavor of it. Intrigued, I contemplated putting in a
couple of bushes primarily for tea, but because the package did not give the
latin name, I am unsure if it was Hippophae rhamnoides or perhaps a more
localized species (Hippophae salicifolia?), or whether that would make so
much of a difference. Has anyone growing Sea Buckthorn tried the leaves as a
tea?

I've also found it strange, as most of my go-to sources for ethnobotanical
information don't mention anything about making tea from the leaves, which
has given me to wonder if teas from other members of Eleagnaceae might make a
good tea, as Autumn Olive already grows around here. I may try it in the
spring. Experiences anyone?

cheers,
Evan
Southern Appalachians