nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Need recommendation for Asian pear rootstock

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Need recommendation for Asian pear rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 07:00:53 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Steve,

In my opinion, there isn't a good one. OHxF#51 was the best, but was hard to
propagate & so isn't available commercially. OHxF513 is disease resistant,
productive, long-lived, but doesn't dwarf Asians very well. As a workable
compromise, you could try 513 & avoid pruning the trees until they fruit.
Asians tend to overbear and bear quickly, so if you can get them to fruit
early with a pretty heavy crop it will slow their growth. After they fruit,
then you can prune as needed.

Not a pretty solution, but it has worked OK for me with everything except the
most vigourous Asian hybrids. Some of my trees are only 3 feet apart )with
25 foot middles.

Anton
Zone 8
North Carolina