nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fw: Opal apples

  • From: Mark Lee <mark.lee.phd@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fw: Opal apples
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 08:24:55 -0700

Bob,
The Opal described in the link you provided is the same apple being sold in
the Puget Sound area. The store where I have seen it lists the apple as a
cross of Golden Delicious x Topaz. The store says Opal is exclusive to their
grocery stores. Two things make this apple stand out. The first is the
color. An intense orangey-yellow, like a well ripened quince. The second is
that cut apple slices do not turn brown.
-Mark Lee, Seattle