nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting question

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting question
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 21:10:39 EST

In a message dated 3/8/2011 5:28:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lostman_amiga@yahoo.com writes:

> I always wanted to do just a whip graft - it seems cleaner. The problem
> is that
> I cant seem to find a way of holding it while putting on the parafilm. I
> need a
> third hand.

I tie the graft together first with a grafting rubber then cover with
Parafilm. Yes, in a few weeks one needs go back to remove the grafting rubber
as
it can girdle. I pull the rubber tight, almost to the breaking point. I
don't believe you can apply too much pressure between the cambium layers of
the
scion and understock.

I make two wraps of the rubber below the understock cut, then hold the
scion in place and bring the rubber over the bottom of the scion. This holds
it
in place while the subsequent turns around the union are made. Wrap up then
down and tie it off again below the graft. When comes time to unloosen the
rubber you simply remove the bottom of the Parafilm and open the tied end.

Jerry