nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pear roots and peat pots

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pear roots and peat pots
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 08:48:53 -0600

Murph and all, I learned the same lesson the hard way. Peat pots, peat plugs, and to a lesser degree, potting soil just aren't compatible with our clay soil. Bareroot plants do fine. Any plants too small to put right in the ground I'll pot up with a mix of our garden soil (clay) and potting soil. Done that way, I can plunk them in the ground anytime anywhere and they grow just fine. When I took plants potted my way to the local nursery, they blanched and replaced the soil with a potting mix. The look of horror on their faces was priceless. But it works. I wonder how many plants are bought locally, looking so happy and perky in their pots full of light fluffy soil, proceed to die in the first hot dry spell. You get plenty of repeat biz that way I guess. The customer would never guess the cause, at least not without a lot of trial and error which would have to include comparing mail order bareroot plants. Donna