nafex - Re: [NAFEX] question about heartnuts..

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] question about heartnuts..
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 14:29:15 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2011 1:35:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
abhayner@gmail.com writes:

> are they viable here in coastal plains of NC?
> do they require pollination? We have several large pecan trees-- I read
> that
> heartnuts grow quickly and have a spreading habit.
> I have a place for a tree like that! A spot where we could use some shade.
> any opinions welcome, here.

Hello Amy,

Yes, heartnuts grow quickly, come into bearing early and are spreading,
most often w/o a single central leader. They do nave a nice tropical like
foliage in the spring and early summer. I believe they would do well in your
area. They don't like poorly drained soil. The root systems are shallow. As
most of the catkins and flowers don't normally appear simultaneously on the
same tree I recommend at least two trees to increase chances of pollination.
They hybridize easily with butternut, so if butternut exists near you that
could serve as a pollinator. All Juglans are air pollinated.

The nuts crack easily with a flavor similar to butternut. The nut meats are
used in baking and candy. Squirrels also find them easy to open.

Jerry