nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blackberries

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blackberries
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:19:02 +0000

Amelia,
 I haven't the space to grow blackberries; already have a thornless raspberry I am quite content with. May I just say "Wild Treasure Thornless" from Raintree is a small investment when you consider the cost of many of their fruiting trees (and that's how I got started).

Blackberries grow most places they get the chance, as I remember when visiting family in Michigan, and the trailing variety (wild on the Pacific Slope of WA and OR) that I surmise this is crossed with handles colder winters than found down by the water's edge. I think it's worth trying, and you can report the results.
Have fun,
Dave Liezen, E. WA, z6