nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aronia Use

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aronia Use
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:04:06 -0600

For 20 years the birds never touched my aronia, then in 2009 the
robins discovered them & now I have to fight them off. They actually
completely cleared a couple of the plants that I have in the open.

Aronia is also being encouraged widely for organic growers since they
are essentially disease free. A couple of the larger growers have
said there is a disease they are starting to see whose name I forget,
but these are larger monocultural planting so I don't find that all
that surprising. For polyculture permaculture planting aronia is no
brainer.

I also allow a certain amount to dry on the bushes & they make a tangy
raisin & a lot of the astringency goes out of them. But for all but
the intrepid, they will never be an out of hand fruit.

~mIEKAL