nafex - [NAFEX] Tree Protection Strategies

  • From: anton ptak <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tree Protection Strategies
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:50:44 -0600

Evan,

We use 2x2' pieces of hardware cloth with 1/2 or 1/4" openings (2 or 4-mesh). We usually buy a 50' roll and cut into pieces, but you can buy smaller sections. It does a good job deterring voles and mice, and rabbits if there's no snow. We can have enough snow that rabbits could easily reach the tree during the winter. Luckily, our planting is out in the open and the rabbits stay in the woods where the birds of prey can't get at them as easily. The 2-mesh stuff is more rigid than the 4-mesh and we can set it up a little easier. It can be tough on hands, and when vegetation grows up into the guard it can be a big chore to remove. I've heard standard aluminum window screen works well enough and is probably cheaper and easier to handle. I'm going to try putting some pea gravel around the base of the tree to keep down the vegetation. I wouldn't use flashing as you want definitely want airflow around the trunk. . . . my two cents.

Anton Ptak
zone 4a, w. wisconsin