nafex - [NAFEX] american chestnuts - what for?

  • From: "alden@waldenwinds.com" <alden@waldenwinds.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] american chestnuts - what for?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:42:38 -0700

Bit puzzled here about the utility of planting pure american chestnuts.

What is it you want from a tree?

There are big-nutted good-yielding forest type chestnut trees that are non-american, that can give you what you want.  NNGA member Verne Luvall in Illinois grew 'Luvall's Monster' and I have a graft I did about 1997 30' tall, competitive as can be, straight and tall and ready to take all comers.   What are you trying to do by planting pure american chestnut?

Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts

  • [NAFEX] american chestnuts - what for?, alden@waldenwinds.com, 01/25/2011