nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tree Protection Strategies

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tree Protection Strategies
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 00:26:40 -0500

On Jan 25, 2011, at 7:41 PM, Evan wrote:

> Inside the electric fence I have considered putting small mesh guards or
> possibly 3' tree-shelters on the plantings to protect from browse by
> smaller animals like rabbits and voles. This is the part I'm a bit more
> stuck on, as I would prefer to do things inexpensively when possible, and
> buying a roll of hardware cloth or a bundle of treeshelters would not come
> cheap. In the long run, I'm willing to spend an extra couple bucks per tree
> to increase its odds of thriving, but if there's another way to do it that
> costs less, well, that I'm interested in. I've heard of using 24" aiuminum
> flashing to make guards as well?

I don't have a lot of trees, so I go to the local hardware store -- the one
that advertises that they will re-screen your doors and windows -- and I ask
for the used aluminum window screen that they have taken off other people's
doors and windows. They give it to me for free, as they were planning to
throw it away. It is very easy to cut and shape to put around the base of
trees, and it is effective at keeping rabbits and voles at bay. It
"breathes", so you don't have to worry about over-heating or rot of what-not.

I wrap it moderately snugly around the tree, with a bit of thin packing foam
at the top to keep out borers. (left over from packages I've received.)
Then I bind it in place with a stapler, folding over some extra screen so I
can "let it out" as the tree grows. Every spring I check to see if it's
tight, and loosen it if need be.

Ginda