nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Can't freeze chestnuts

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Can't freeze chestnuts
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:08:03 -0800

Acrtually, mixing it with the right amount of vinegar will form sodium acetate dissolved in hypochlorous acid: NaOCl + Ch3COOH = HClO + Ch3COONa

You're still going to get some outgassing of Chlorine from either the bleach or the hypochlorous acid outside of controlled conditions.  HClO is a pretty effective disinfectant, so you're aqueous solution of bleach and vinegar should clean and disinfect better than bleach alone.

Yes, a baking soda solution is not mold-friendly, but not what I'd use as a disinfectant.  I use a weak bleach solution.

~ Stephen