nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rabbit repeler spray

  • From: Bill Garthright <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rabbit repeler spray
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:30:15 -0600

Miller Nurseries (1-800-836-9630) sells a spray called "Repels-All" that they claim really works.

I don't know anything about that particular spray, and I've never tried anything in the winter, but I used to try repellent sprays to keep rabbits out of my garden. As far as I could tell, they didn't do anything at all. One time, I looked outside and saw a rabbit sitting in the middle of what I'd just sprayed, less than an hour before! And that was when there was plenty for them to eat elsewhere, too.

Of course, just because some sprays don't work, that doesn't mean they ALL don't. As I say, I don't know anything about that particular spray.

PS. Note, re. the suggestion of dogs, that you can't let them run loose in town. And if you restrain them, and keep them outside day and night - like my neighbors do - well, your neighbors will hate you. :-)

Besides, if you build a fence to let the dogs run loose to protect your fruit trees, you might as well fence out the rabbits while you're at it, right? And if you get rid of the dogs, you won't have to clean up poop, either. Heh, heh. Admittedly, they might be useful to deter rabbits and raccoons - anything that can climb over the fence.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality. ... When one admits that nothing is certain one must, I think, also admit that some things are much more nearly certain than others. - Bertrand Russell