nafex - [NAFEX] off topic: rice bugs

  • From: Ginda Fisher <LIST@GINDA.US>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] off topic: rice bugs
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:42:53 -0500

I often find narrow black bugs in my rice or other cereal products. They are
probably some sort of weevil. We just opened a 5lb bag of rice, and it has a
lot of them. Usually, I dump a new 5lb bag of rice into a nice metal tin,
but I don't want to contaminate the tin with this infestation, nor do I want
it to spread to the flour.

The internet suggests throwing away the rice, but that seems awfully
wasteful, and it's not that hard to rinse the rice before cooking it, and I'm
certain they are harmless to eat if I miss a few. But I'd like to kill this
colony so they don't spread. I wondered if "cooking" the rice by putting it
in a heat-proof container in the oven would work, and if the rice would still
cook properly with water later. Or microwaving it?

Any ideas?

Ginda
in eastern MA, where we have a lot of snow today, and I have time to mess
with the rice.