nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple varieties for mid-coastal Maine

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple varieties for mid-coastal Maine
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 07:46:19 -0400

> Can anyone recommend some varieties that we can manage organically
> that will be able to handle the humidity and disease pressures?
>
> Thanks!
> Sam.

I am in zone 5b in Nova Scotia, right on the water, (similar conditions). Of
the 50 varieties in
my backyard orchard, I am keen on: 1) Belle de Boskoop - large, highly
flavoured, highly
scab immune, but also the russetted skin seems to repel a lot of the insects.
2) Bramley's
Seedling - not well known here, but the standard "cooker" in Britain. Scab
resistant,
productive, but the main thing from my perspective is the flavour; absolutely
nothing comes
even close to the intense apple taste that lingers on the tongue for hours
after that slice of
pie. 3) William's Pride - of all the modern scab-resistant cultivars this is
the only one that I
have been impressed with the taste. Does well here in NS.
There is another aspect of organic apple growing that you may want to
consider beyond scab
pressure - insects and critters. It is my impression that we in the East
have a lot more
problems than, for example, the growers in Washington state. But that is a
whole other
thread.