nafex - [NAFEX] hedgerow against deer. I just had a thought: what about American plum?!

  • From: "alden@waldenwinds.com" <alden@waldenwinds.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] hedgerow against deer. I just had a thought: what about American plum?!
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 07:40:28 -0700

<hawthorn as a hedgerow against deer. I just had a thought: what about American plum?! >

Anti:  p. americana usually spread underneath as roots.   Hence, expanding hedgerow:  a new nightmare to contain.  Labor intensive to reduce.  Few documented superior seed source strains available.  [no one can name a seed source that throws superior p. americana seedlings for this hedgerow purpose].

I'm moving 10 seedlings of a p. americana found wild here to decent locations in thicket where they will be fruited and evaluated.  Their seed parent threw roots when experimentally layered.

I'd prefer eleagnus umbellata to be considered for deer hedging.  Though I like a previous poster's suggestion of mulberry as it can be cut and fed to her goats.

Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts

  • [NAFEX] hedgerow against deer. I just had a thought: what about American plum?!, alden@waldenwinds.com, 01/05/2011