nafex - [NAFEX] Small/stone fruit pies - Gluten and sugar free

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Small/stone fruit pies - Gluten and sugar free
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 19:54:38 -0500

I just made a black and gold raspberry pie that came out wonderfully, and just followed in my mother's footsteps with one exception: I used a gluten free crust and used honey rather than sugar. I got a box of "Perfect Gluten Free Pie crust flour" from the Health Food Store and made it with butter. It was definitely not for "free form" tarts - but made a berry pie effectively from my frozen surfeit of raspberries.
Make the crust per the box, put first half in the pie pan.

Filling:

-4 cups of thawed berries (they do sink down when they thaw),
-"some" honey (the amount truly depends on the berries - to taste); less for strawberries, more for pie cherries.
-3 Tablespoons Tapioca. Mix all together, sprinkle in lemon juice if desired (to taste). Make sure you like the taste - adding whatever to make yourself happy. Then -

-Cut up about 4 T butter into small chunks. After placing the filling in the crust, dot the berries with the butter.

Then roll and put the top crust on. You will not like the result of a topless berry pie. Lattices are for those using wheat flour. This dough needs to be cold, rolled quickly, and placed before it gets too "floppy". Reminds me of using oil for crusts. Be sure to cut six or eight nice "air holes" in the top - I like diamonds.

450 F for 10 minutes, followed by 350 F for 30-40 minutes.

You will know when it's done: Top won't be TOO brown and the berries will be bubbling all the way through (you'll see the crust move and the holes will bubble.

Good news: If you only make one, there will be another ball of dough in the freezer, as the recipe makes enough for two pies!

Bon Apetit'!
Barbara Rosholdt
z7 piedmont Virginia -

and OVERRUN with berries. Yum.

  • [NAFEX] Small/stone fruit pies - Gluten and sugar free, Rosholdt, 01/03/2011