nafex - [NAFEX] Duchesnea indica "Harlequin"?

  • From: "V. Michael Bove, Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Duchesnea indica "Harlequin"?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:18:15 -0500

The new Thompson & Morgan catalog lists seed for a variegated Indian Strawberry that is described as bearing "edible red fruit, similar to Alpine." My recollection from a childhood backyard full of un- pedigreed Indian Strawberry was that the fruit was "edible" in the same sense that styrofoam is edible, though with much less flavor. Does anyone know anything about Harlequin, or have you run across any Duchesnea fruit that is actually _worth_ eating?

Given the ineradicable-without-thermonuclear-weapons nature of the stuff, I wouldn't plant it in any case, but I'm still curious. Thanks.

Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm, Z6 (MA/RI border)

  • [NAFEX] Duchesnea indica "Harlequin"?, V. Michael Bove, Jr., 01/03/2011