nafex - [NAFEX] Painting to Delay Blooming

  • From: "Tim Inman" <Tim@historicinteriors.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Painting to Delay Blooming
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:14:22 -0600

Many nurseries, and many books, recommend painting the trunk white to hold the tree in dormancy a little longer.  It also helps protect from 'winter warming' of the trunk from direct sunshine.

I've done this for years.  I use 'handy' white-ish latex paint (on hand and/or cheap).  I dilute it about 50/50.  I also add a generous glug of Deer Guard.  This is an extremely bitter product which deters mice and rabbits, etc. from munching on the bark.  It works great!

FYI

Tim Inman
Zone 4-5
Randolph, Iowa

  • [NAFEX] Painting to Delay Blooming, Tim Inman, 01/03/2011