nafex - [NAFEX] flowering strips in orchards

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] flowering strips in orchards
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 05:15:44 -0600

I think there's an awful lot to learn about how to reduce pest pressure in an orchard by attracting beneficials.  I have lots of stuff growing around my trees to encourage bennies, but I'm not at all sure that my rather random collection of weeds that include "helpful" plants that I either introduced or favor, like Queen Anne's Lace, don't encourage as many enemies as friends.

Generally, in the many orchards I manage on homes and estates, the cleaner (broadleaf free) the turf, the less the insect pressure.  Of all of them, my orchard, with it's wonderful diversity of plants that attract friends, has the most pressure.  Mine was the only one to suffer severe green stink bug infestation last season and they are a truly horrible pest.

  • [NAFEX] flowering strips in orchards, Alan Haigh, 12/24/2010