nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Pomegranate cultivars; nafex Digest, Vol 95, Issue 8

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Pomegranate cultivars; nafex Digest, Vol 95, Issue 8
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 03:47:40 -0500 (EST)

*Scott Smith:  Interesting.  What are the supposedly shorter-season varieties of pomegranate that you're now trying?

Message: 14
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 09:29:17 -0500
From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone Range Limit (6/7): Date-Palm, Pomegranate,
	Strawberry-Tree, Fuzzy Kiwi, Kaki, OTHERS?

I'm at the 6B/7A border in MD .. usually the lowest low each year is in the -2F
to 2F range.

Hardy pomegranates - two years of very minor dieback
Fuzzy kiwi - 8 years, no dieback.  Main problem is too-short season for fruit
maturity, trying several supposedly shorter-season varieties now.

On Dec 8, 2010, at 2:09 AM, Steven Covacci wrote:

> This thread concerns Zones 6a through 7a...
>
> Zone Range Limit: Date-Palm, Pomegranate, Strawberry-Tree, Fuzzy-Kiwi,
Japanese Persimmon, & other??? semi-hardy subtropics (Zones 6a through 7a)

> WITHOUT (much) winter protection, how far have you been able to push the USDA
zone range limit for the following fruit types?