nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hawthorn, Juneberry/Serviceberry responses

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hawthorn, Juneberry/Serviceberry responses
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 03:35:39 -0500 (EST)

Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Your favorite Hawthorns,Juneberries/Serviceberries,Crab-apple - and Munson plum discussion

*Ron Lonbough: Interesting info about Crataegus mollis being biennial and that Burbank may have worked with Prunus munsoniana - I think it's going to turn out to be a favorite of mine.
*Martha Davis: I'll have to check that book out then.  Very good point - there is probably little point to me asking people from different ecotype locations to describe to me the best members of a genus.  Yet, for now, I'll have to work with that when it comes to fruits that are too rare for me to find in the local wild. Like you said, I'll just have to continue to hike around and find what works best for where I am.
*Lucky: Out of Malus coronaria, M. angustifolia, and M. ioensis, if you had to pick pick one as the best for culinary use or eating out-of-hand, although not that good, which would they be?  How is the large-fruited one from your fathers place in Alabama?
Is the Amaelanchier laevis that you described a better or different-flavored fruit then the A. x grandiflora seedlings you have?

Thanks,
Steve

  • Re: [NAFEX] Hawthorn, Juneberry/Serviceberry responses, Steven Covacci, 12/15/2010