nafex - [NAFEX] Cold-hardy cultivars of Black Mulberry (M. nigra) - USDA zone 6/7a

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cold-hardy cultivars of Black Mulberry (M. nigra) - USDA zone 6/7a
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 02:23:16 -0500 (EST)

Cold-hardy cultivars of Black Mulberry (M. nigra)

Cliff England - England's Orchard & Nursery - has a cultivar of black mulberry (Morus nigra) which is exceptional in that it is very cold-hardy and has done well for years in his orchard in Kentucky, zone 6a. The name of this cultivar is 'Javid Iranian Black Gem' - source: northern Iran. To my knowledge this is the most cold-hardy black mulberry cultivar in the trade. Are there other cultivars suitable for zone 6b or if “7a” - as some advertize, then a definite 7a where it is possible to hit a little bellow 0 F., albeit very rarely and for a short-period.

Also, one source claims that there is very little genetic variation among M. nigra clones and that the seed is inviable; doesn't sound right but if anyone knows something about this, please let us know.

Thanks,
Steve Covacci
USDA zone 6b/7a; New Jersey

(p.s. to reduce redundancy – when replying, where practical, please remove my original text, except for subject heading and specific points being replied to.)

  • [NAFEX] Cold-hardy cultivars of Black Mulberry (M. nigra) - USDA zone 6/7a, Steven Covacci, 12/15/2010