nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Early Ripening American Persimmons

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Early Ripening American Persimmons
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:41:02 -0600

Sherlock,

I can’t speak to zone 4 performance, as I’m firmly in zone 6, but...

I have NC-10 – it was one of the first two persimmons I ever grafted – scionwood came from John Gordon;  here in my orchard, about 70 mi NW of Nashville, TN, it is the earliest-ripening variety – usually dropping ripe fruits around 15 September; was a couple of weeks early this year, with some ripe, edible fruits on Sept 1.

Geneva Long is, I believe, also an early variety – but the GL I grafted at the same time as my NC-10 must have been misidentified scionwood, as the photos I’ve seen of both GL & NC-10 both show an elongate fruit, whereas ‘my’ GL produced a typical round virginiana fruit.

I’m not certain of ripening date, but you might also consider including Early Golden, as our friend Jerry Lehman indicates that it consistently wins ‘taste tests’, year-in/year out.

Other potential eastern US sources:  Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery and England’s Orchard & Nursery – both located here in KY, and operated by friends & fellow KNGA members.

Lucky Pittman

Hopkinsville, KY