nafex - [NAFEX] Early Ripening American Persimmons

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Early Ripening American Persimmons
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:29:20 -0500

I've been looking to plant an American persimmon and I live in challenging location. Zone 4 <2000 growing degree days. From what I've read, I think that the hardiness might be ok, but it's hard to tell which varieties ripen first and how long and hot of a growing season they need because the sources vary.

Here's the info I've found so far on ripening order. Does anyone have experience with any of these varieties (especially in a northern location)? Also, does anyone know of an east coast source for Mohler or a US source for NC 10 or know if its true that Yates will ripen off the tree?

Thanks.
-Sherlock
VT

Lee Reich/One Green World