nafex - [NAFEX] Zone 3 Boysenberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Jackie Kuehn <jakuehn@verizon.net>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Zone 3 Boysenberries
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:32:06 -0600

Dan Nave asked, "Do Boysenberries grow in Pequot Lakes (Minnesota)? When I Google them, they indicate hardy to zone 6."

My Boysenberries grow upright for about 8" and grow prostrate thereafter, creeping along the ground. If I get bitterly cold temperatures before a blanket of snow, I get no berries. If I forget to cover the base of the plant, I get no crop the following season. But if I mulch the base of the plants where the stems grew upright AND the snows come on time, I reap my just reward.
When I got the plants (unnamed plants from Gurney) I planted them adjacent to the septic tank to ensure the roots wouldn't freeze. Like other Prunus, stem ends sometimes tip-root and that was how I learned that I could plant them anywhere and I needn't be concerned about roots freezing. Now I have plants thriving elsewhere.
In Spring, I pull the stems out of the grass/weeds and tie them onto a trellis - they don't normally climb. Care must be taken when pulling them out of the weeds because the stems bruise or kink easily and primocanes don't heal themselves. I have learned that it is best to take the extra time to loosen the weeds/grass before attempting to lift the stems.
The berries are HUGE! 5-6 will fill my hand. They are sweetest when over-ripe. And carefully removing all the tip-rooted plants further reward me when I sell the potted plants at the farmers' market.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Zone 3 Boysenberries, Jim Fruth, 12/13/2010