nafex - [NAFEX] Boysenberries

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Boysenberries
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:27:11 -0600

Do Boysenberries grow in Pequot Lakes? When I Google them, they indicate
hardy to zone 6.

Dan

On 12/11/2010 9:11 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:
My first experience with Hardy Chicago was to bring them inside anticipating a frost. All the leaves fell off within three days of being inside.

Next I planted it next to the septic tank so the roots wouldn't freeze (Septic tanks don't freeze). That worked. Every year it bore fruit and none of it ever ripened prior to a killing frost, even in a year where frosts were delayed by a month. Then I got tired of playing with it and planted Boysenberries instead.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472