nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Quince Varieties

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Quince Varieties
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 20:55:15 -0500

Naomi,
Fireblight is a major problem in the eastern US, including the
Appalachian Highlands where I live. Chaenomeles, the "bush
ornamental" quince you describe below, survives and fruits very well
here, despite heavy fireblight pressure. I manage fireblight in
apples and pears in my orchard, but have only cut out one blighted
quince limb in about 15 years. I've posted on this topic before if
you care to search this list archives.

The ornamental (Japanese) quince I prefer is 'Toyo Nishiki', which I
bought from Hidden Springs Nursery, a mail order nursery based in
Cookeville, TN, The owners/operators are Nafex members. 'Toyo
Nishiki' has flowers of several colors, and has larger fruit than most
all 'ornamental' quince in my area. We harvest the fruit bushels at a
time, both from our bushes and those around town. Then we steam
extract the juice and use it for baking. We also run steamed fruit
through a food mill and use the sauce, cooking it down and making a
paste like guava paste.

We sell at the Abingdon Farmers Market. Earlier today there was a
discussion at our booth with local chefs and restaurant patrons on how
our quince juice and fruit is being used. We also sell the quince
paste, and customers were talking about that as well.

In summary, the Chaenomeles or 'ornamental' quinces are a fruit fruit
we grow, and a number of our customers and several chefs enjoy them as
well.

Richard Moyer
SW VA
Where I have an order for spice(bush)berries, Lindera benzoin.