nafex - [NAFEX] hardy figs

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] hardy figs
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:19:17 -0600

I grow both Chicago Hardy and LSU purple which was a fig released out of an LSU breeding program and was purposely chosen to do what people here are saying CH does.  I'm in z.6 southeastern NY and my experience echos Lee's as far as these varieties not ripening up figs on one year wood from roots.  In short seasons a good portion of the crop never ripens even on older wood.  Last few didn't waste any though.

I pop mine out of the ground in Nov and stick them in my well house but I used to put a fence around them and fill that up with leaves.  If I would cover the leaves with a tarp they'd die but if I just used leaves they'd survive.  This was with temps down to around -10 F.