nafex - [NAFEX] Any reviews on flavor characteristics of these persimmons spp.: D. lotus; D. rhombifolia; and/or D. texana?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Any reviews on flavor characteristics of these persimmons spp.: D. lotus; D. rhombifolia; and/or D. texana?
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:57:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Has anyone here tasted the fruit of: date-plum (Diospyros lotus), often used as a rootstock for D. kaki; diamond-leaf/princess persimmon (D. rhombifolia), uncommon; and/or of black sapote (D. texana), for those who live in Texas and the vicinity?

Any reviews?

p.s. I do not know about D. texana, but all of the rest, including D. kaki, are 90-chromosome species, as is the northern strain of D. virginiana.  I wonder if there have been attempts at hybridizing any of these, other then the D. kaki/virginiana hybrids.

Thanks,
Steve

  • [NAFEX] Any reviews on flavor characteristics of these persimmons spp.: D. lotus; D. rhombifolia; and/or D. texana?, Steven Covacci, 11/20/2010