nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

  • From: Grover Barnett <scionmechanic@optonline.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:04:57 -0500

Thanks Bill for your report.
I am growing Dapple Dandy and Flavor King on Long Island zone 7a. The FK was planted in 2007 cracks badly and sets light.   The few I have eaten taste like multi flavored candy, quite impressive. I am planning on planting out the FK seeds next season  pollinated by American hybrids.  FK goes off patent about next June.  I'll regraft these seedlings back on the tree.

The DD set  many this season in its second year.  I let a few grow to taste,  were rubbery but had the sweet flavor.  This tree grows like a monster and sets very well for a pluot.  From what you reported , Bill, I'll have to heavily thin the DD a lot to get %100. Last season I planted Emerald Beaut plum which gets ripe late with Flavor Grenade. The Flavor grenade sounds like it may do well with heavy thinning and systemic BR control.  Late summer heat will help.

I have Brown Rot completely gone from all my 25 stone fruit trees using a few sprays of propiconazole , Monterey Fungi Fighter from Jungs. http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=50291&c=218&p=Fungi-Fighter+Systemic+Fungicide+%28Qt%29

Grover