nafex - [NAFEX] Cooking quince (easy) recipe(s)

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: GoatCheesePlus@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cooking quince (easy) recipe(s)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 17:13:00 -0600

I have gotten some quince.  These are the edible raw ones and I do not think I like them as well as the old gotta cook ‘em type.  But this is what I am doing and it comes out well. I am baking them in honey and wine.. Okay some of the wine is mead I made in 2008.. but whatevah.

So peel, half and core.

Melt Butter in  baking dish.

Put in as many quince halves as will fit.

Pour a good line of honey down them and add the wine.

Bake and baste till they seem nice.

I froze some and mushed them in the food processor with sugar and half and half and made a nice ice cream.

And I took some baked as above to a party with some roasted pear ice cream which was very incredible.  I roasted the pears the same way I did the quinces but no wine.

And if there is wine goo in the pan when the quinces are done it makes a really good jelly thing.

The quinces would probably go well with soft goat cheese too with a little chestnut honey drizzled over.

Naomi

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."
 ..... Albert Einstein

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5589 (20101103) __________

http://www.eset.com