nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Lingonberry plants

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Lingonberry plants
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:33:35 -0700 (PDT)

I bought a few lingonberries from Hartman's a few years back as well.  So far, the ones from there did not produce anything like the varieties Ida and Balsgard, available from Raintree.  Ida and Balsgard have both been consistent bearers of lots of fruit, given that the plant size is indeed small (about 12" here).  I've been told that cross-pollination can be important in producing lots of fruit on these.

I've trialed all the varieties I've been able to locate and purchase in small quantities, probably about 8 or 9 types.  The Ida were a local nursery purchase, but the rest mail order.  Haven't found anything to compare to productivity to the ones I mentioned.  According to Lee (I believe), how the plants are propagated can make a difference in early productivity.  Mine are grown in almost pure peat, with a little sand or fired clay to maintain some looseness.  Old stems die out after a couple of seasons, so the plant needs room to constantly send up new growth to produce and fare well.  Severe restriction to location drastically reduces my productivity.

The dwarf variety (available from Raintree) almost never produces any fruit but makes a nice and attractive groundcover when given proper conditions.

John