nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scion Storage, frost dipping

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scion Storage, frost dipping
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:34:07 EDT

In a message dated 10/18/2010 9:10:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hangermayer@isp.com writes:

Quite frankly I don't know how warm the fridge gets.  I do know if we turn
it down from where it's at, food starts to freeze on some shelves.  In past
years, even placing scions on the coldest shelves still causes them to bud
out after a while.  Storing the scions in a jug of water is the only thing
that has worked in this fridge
.

Mark,

You don't have fruit and apples in this frig do you?

My scion storage frig is set to about 32 degrees and I've never had problems storing scions. NEVER! Not in 20 years and it is an auto defrost. The Prunus was in another that was at a higher temp. Was no problem in the scion frig. Malus no problem. Nut species no problem. Have stored persimmon in it for over a year and successfully grafted, sure the percentage was down. Waxed ends, freezer zip lock bags, dampened paper towel.

Could your defrost timer be getting stuck and the temp occasionally getting much higher than you are aware of for extended periods? You should not have to go through the extra effort you are.

Jerry