nafex - [NAFEX] Fwd: Roundup of news about threatened genebanks

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fwd: Roundup of news about threatened genebanks
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 09:56:01 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

From: PBForum <PBForum@fao.org>
Date: October 6, 2010 8:28:17 AM PDT
To: pbforum-l@mailserv.fao.org
Subject: FW: Roundup of news about threatened genebanks

From: Luigi Guarino
Subject: Roundup of news about threatened genebanks

I know this forum is not really about germplasm conservation, but I
thought breeders might be interested in a what's going on in some
important genebanks around the world. After all, that's where they
get
a lot of their material from eventually, right?

This explains the latest from the saga of the fruit/berry field
collections at the Vavilov Institute in Russia, which is threatened
by
a housing development:

http://www.vaviblog.com/the-vavilov-institute-responds-to-the-expert-commissi
on/

And Australia's genebanks are also threatened:

http://agro.biodiver.se/2010/10/australia-and-russian-federation-shoulder-to-
shoulder-over-genebanks/

And a similar situation has developed over the past several months at
Wellesbourne in the UK:
http://www.vaviblog.com/pavlovsk-is-not-unique/

I think our failure in the genetic resources conservation community
quantify costs properly:

http://agro.biodiver.se/2010/10/the-dismal-science-and-dismal-science-writing
/

And to facilitate the effective use of conserved material:

http://agro.biodiver.se/2010/10/taro-resistant-to-leaf-blight-ready-to-go/

...is not helping this situation, alas.

But maybe this is the answer?
http://agro.biodiver.se/2010/10/wanna-be-a-hero/

  • [NAFEX] Fwd: Roundup of news about threatened genebanks, Lon J. Rombough, 10/06/2010