nafex - [NAFEX] besst late (winter) apple

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] besst late (winter) apple
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 21:22:44 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I am truly enjoying the recent discussions on apples in different climates!

I'd be very interested in hearing what kinds of very late apples are people's
favorites & why, especially from those with very long growing seasons.

Right now in Zone 8 North Carolina I have 'Goldrush' and 'Miss Label' (a red
apple that was labelled as 'Goldstar' when I bought the tree) that are
ripening. Everything else is done, including some apples that are considered
late in some areas, like 'Enterprise'. Fireblight killed my 'Yates' tree
that ripened apples in November, but 'Yates' is not a top quality apple, in
my opinion. It's small in size and often has significant bitterness in the
skin. (I still like it, it's just not my favorite.) The latest apple I grew
was a fantastic seedling in an abandoned orchard. It ripened in late
November, but wasn't much to eat until it had been stored a few weeks, when
it took on a rich sweet-tart flavor that I have yet to experience in another
apple. Unfortunately, apple borers killed the tree before I could save it.

Anton