nafex - Re: [NAFEX] air layering

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] air layering
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:16:05 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/2010 7:27:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, murphman108@msn.com writes:

Just another failure report.

I tried Air Layering on Wolf River apple and Smoky Saskatoon.
Both failed miserably. 2 branches each.
Is there a list of plants that respond well to Air Layering?

Murph

I'm surprised!

Many apples suffer from Burr Knot Disease which is a cluster of roots that develop where moisture collects and sets on apple branches. Plant an apple grafted to dwarfing understock with the graft union blow the ground and roots will develop from the cloned portion and then becomes normal size for that variety. I'd question how you did this layering, but you are obviously experienced at air layering.

Jerry