nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mushroom Melanbopus

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mushroom Melanbopus
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 07:21:18 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/2010 5:00:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jwlehman@aol.com writes:

I would vote for Melanopus squamosus, just because it has a foot and a
polyporus grows differently. I have just checked Pomerleau Encyclopedia of
Mushroom (listing some 2000 mushrooms found in Québec) and it has a drawing of your mushroom and a technical description. It is definitely not an oyster mushroom

Dear Group,

I want to thank one and all for their input. Had no idea so many members of the NAFEX chat net were interested in mushrooms and very knowledgeable. After checking out Polyporus (Melanbopus) squamosus I feel quite sure that is what this mushroom is.
In just the last few days it has hardened and the tube spores rub off quite easily. I'm not going to try and eat it. Should have done so about 2 weeks ago when it was more tender.

Jerry