nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jujube processing

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jujube processing
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:03:17 -0400

>I was reading about processing and discovered recommendations for
>peeling the fruit. I cannot even imagine trying to peel fruit the size
>of 'So'. I understand that the 'Sugarcane' fruit is larger.
>However, my question is- does anyone peel their fruit to dry it or to
>otherwise process it?
>How do people process these fruits?
>Betsy Hilborn
>7a NC

We always dry them whole. Then can be stored for years at room temp.
Never saw them peeled in Korea in markets, restaurants or homes.
Though at times they were shaved with a very sharp knife and the
shavings, peel included, where sprinkled on desserts.

Many fruits were served peeled, though, moreso than I'm used to in the US.

Lee Reich has a chapter on jujubes in his excellent book 'Uncommon
Fruits', that includes uses.

The suggestion to peel the reminds me of James Beard's advice to peel
figs before eating. Who has the time?

Richard Moyer
SW VA