nafex - Re: [NAFEX] seaberry processing

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] seaberry processing
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:33:29 -0500

You pressed branches, leaves & fruit?  That seems counterintuitive.  About to put in a half acre seaberry planting for wine next spring.....

~mIEKAL

On Sep 28, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Bob Bors wrote:

For larger quantities I cut the branches to fit our apple press. Got about 70% yield in juice. Previously, trying the freeze and shake methods took 10 times longer.

My Fruit Science class made wine from it one year with the help of someone who often makes fruit wines…quite a hassle to skim off all the oil.
It was very high acid. We added a  ‘maximum amount of chalk’ and the pH was still too low. So we added banana.
The juice before fermentation was wonderful. Quite the tropical punch!
When bottled it seemed to have lost most of the aromatics.
I shoved it in the basement and forgot about it for almost 2 years.
2 years later it seemed to have improved greatly in flavour.

I’ve often thought that the remains of squished seabuckthorn berries and branches would make excellent animal fodder.
I’ll bet if you fed it to chickens you’d get super orange yolks that would beat any omega-3 eggs in the grocery store!

Dr. Bob Bors
Assistant Professor
Head of the Fruit Program
University of Saskatchewan, Plant Sciences Dept.
51 Campus Drive, Room 2C02
Saskatoon Saskatchewan, S7N 5A8

Fruit program website:
Phone 306-966-8583, Fax 306-966-5015