nafex - Re: [NAFEX] some thoughts on previous remarks by other members

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] some thoughts on previous remarks by other members
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:54:11 -0400

Alan wrote:

It is still hard for me to believe that there are no apples that will grow
where you are that won't stay crisp into mid-winter if stored in a cool
place- I assume Honeycrisp and even Zestar would.  Any russets that
perform there should also hold up more than just a couple months.  I pull
crisp Goldrush apples out of my well house in March.
<<<<

I guess that my problem is that the orchard house is a well designed
passive solar house, so even when I am not there and unheated in late fall,
the temperature inside remains much too warm for any long conservation of
apples.
As of Honeycrisp, they do crop well here, but there are none left in
November as my children eat them all before eating anything else... Russets
are also gone by the same date as I use them all in my cider.
Claude