nafex - Re: [NAFEX] aronia

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] aronia
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:33:38 -0400

Hey All,

My Aronia have been loving all the rain and heat from this summer. The
branches are weighted down with fruit, more so than I have seen in the past 7
years. The chokeberries' taste is outside the realm of typically used fruit
but, the wife and I have made jam/jelly in the past and it was quite good.
We were surprised how comparable it was to those products made with grapes.
Still, it would be nice to have a few more options with the fruit.
I really like my chokeberries. They are native, hardy, very reliable, and
insect resistant in my climate. I have Viking, Nero, A. prunifolia, a
Raintree Nursery selection, and a few wild selections. We do have a few
bunnies in our area but they have yet to really do much damage to the Aronia.
It could be a matter of placement in my yard, tucked away in a corner and
along a fence. Then again, it could be all the other items on the menu that
are drawing them off. Anyway, I really need to get out there and harvest but
the mosquitoes are mean and nasty.

Jim Elie
Green Bay, WI
zone 4/5