nafex - Re: [NAFEX] starting apricots from seed

  • From: "Anton Ptak" <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] starting apricots from seed
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:25:15 -0500

I stratified some manchurian apricots last year in a little moist soil in some plastic container in the fridge. It worked quite well and nearly all germinated, but they sprouted in november (must have started them a little too late). So I nursed the spindly little things along all winter inside, eventually putting them under lights. I got them out just after the last frost but unfortunately 40 degree nights still brought on the fall colors in May. I figured they were gonners but about half of them eventually came back, amazingly.

This year I have some dry apricot, cherry plum, and peach pits I'm going to plant out in late fall to come up in the spring for eventually grafting a year or so later. I figure I'll have less worry that way than having very small trees before the winter sets in.

Anton
Zone 4a W. Wisconsin